Yoga Garden empowers you to teach your style of yoga. Our alignment-based hatha yoga teacher training originates from the teachings of Krishnamacharya, the teacher of B.K.S. Iyengar (Iyengar yoga), Pattabhi Jois (Ashtanga yoga) and T.V.K. Desikachar (viniyoga). This gives you a solid foundation of technical excellence combined with philosophical depth, enabling you to teach your practice.
Your yoga teacher training is a time for personal learning and growth, and we have found that the greatest gains are made in a supportive community. Yoga Garden’s yoga teacher training actively nurtures a community of professional peers that will support your practice and your career, today and tomorrow.
Yoga Garden offers smaller, intimately-sized teacher training programs, which provide you with unparalleled access to lead teachers during the program and ongoing mentorship and career advice well beyond program completion. You will begin practice teaching your peers early in the training. Through real classroom experience, teaching groups, and hands-on adjustments, you will gain the confidence and ability to begin teaching yoga immediately upon graduation.
Learn how yoga works and ignite your passion for self discovery and service to others.
Our yoga teacher training 200-hour program includes a solid foundation in anatomy, yoga history, yoga philosophy, yoga practice, and teaching skills. Through practice, teaching, discussion, lecture, embodiment, and exploration, Yoga Garden’s yoga teacher training prepares you to share yoga and teach successfully. We don’t give you a script to memorize; instead you acquire the tools to share your own practice in a way that delivers the benefits of yoga to everyone. Some people take the program to learn rather than teach. Whatever your reasons for taking the leap, this training will transform you and your relationship to yoga forever.
Our curriculum includes:
- Free access to all YGSF yoga classes during the duration of your program
- Guided practice includes alignment-based vinyasa yoga classes, pranayama, and chanting.
- Understand how yoga creates well-being, health and higher consciousness.
- Experience how asana (poses), pranayama (breath control), and meditation deliver these benefits.
- Learn human anatomy, biomechanics, and optimal alignment for yoga asana.
PHILOSOPHY & HISTORY
- Explore the historical context in which yoga has evolved from an ancient past through modern times.
- As a carrier of the lineage, you are part of the evolution of yoga!
- Explore yoga’s philosophical foundations to understand the reasons behind the actions.
- Discuss the Yoga Sutras.
- Experience and discuss basic chanting and meditation.
- Receive the technical acumen to lead successful, intelligent, all-levels yoga classes. Graduate with the ability to teach your style of yoga.
- Learn teaching skills which include sequencing, creating relevant themes and intentions, hands-on and verbal adjustments, conscious use of language, voice projection, time management, prenatal modifications, and teaching beginners.
- Gain confidence and effectiveness as a teacher and student of yoga.
- Yoga teacher training graduates are qualified to register their yoga teacher certification with Yoga Alliance® at the RYT200 level. (Your certification is internationally recognized!)
BUSINESS OF YOGA
- Learn how and why business and yoga are related, and how to cultivate a livelihood that is meaningful and ethical.
- Gain insights on creating a successful yoga career and starting your own teaching practice from studio owners and established teachers.
THE YGSF DIFFERENCE / OUR COMMUNITY
- Yoga Garden teachers bring decades of experience teaching, practicing, studying, living and breathing yoga to guide and mentor you.
- Receive mentorship and individualized support that allows you to grow as a student and evolve as a teacher, including ongoing compassionate feedback.
- Be part of a life-long community of yoga students and professionals who support your growth. Stay in touch on our Alumni Facebook page after graduation. Alumni attend free Master Classes and get substantial discounts on yoga and future trainings.
- Our Graduates Teach! We are so proud of our graduates and love to keep in touch. See what they are doing on our Graduates page.
Please contact a yoga teacher training representative to learn more!
We offer a 200-hour Yoga Alliance®-registered yoga teacher training certification in two formats:
- Our 12-week extended program is for SF Bay Area yogis who can commit to Tuesday and Friday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday afternoons for three months. Many students prefer having this time to assimilate their studies and allow for work, school, or family.
- Our 28-day immersion program (Mondays off) allows you to complete our in-depth program in the shortest period possible. Our immersion format allows for a process of deep transformation in a supportive community in less than one month. For students who take training to strengthen their practice and learn more about yoga, the 28-day immersion provides an excellent urban retreat experience.
YGSF 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Schedule
- Program tuition is $3,150. Early registration discounts apply for some programs. Visit the program page from the right sidebar for more information.
- Extended payment plans exist. We want to make Yoga Teacher Training affordable to all students. If you would like to request an extended payment plan to help distribute costs, please apply to the program and then inquire with us regarding options to distribute tuition costs. Learn more
- Yoga Garden SF now offers one 200-hour Teacher Training Apprentice position per session. Apprentices receive $600 off tuition in exchange for supporting lead teachers and fulfilling various duties. Learn more about the teacher training apprentice program.
Application for Admission
Pre-Qualify for our Teacher Training program! No financial info required to apply.
Answer a few important questions so we can better understand you and your practice. Getting to know each other is the first step.
You’ll hear from us shortly once we receive your application.
We’re looking forward to meeting you and helping you reach your goals!