Yoga Garden SF has been introducing people to yoga since 1998.
With artful, clear instruction and a safe, systematic method, the language, movement, anatomy, and philosophy are the foundation of every practice.We host over 100 yoga classes a week! See the schedule below for our weekly Yoga Basics and beginner friendly classes for all ages.
Free Yoga Classes for Beginners
New to yoga? These classes are offered every other weekend to provide an opportunity to learn yoga fundamentals in the company of other beginners and in the hands of our skilled instructors.
Each class is a safe and accessible introduction to yoga guiding you:
- how to practice to get the benefits of yoga
- proper alignment
- safety and etiquette in yoga classes
Exclusive offers are available to new students. Sign up in advance to guarantee your space.
Our Introductory Month Membership is the perfect opportunity for new students just starting to practice! It allows you to try unlimited classes for one month to explore different teachers and class styles. There is no automatic renewal.
The Introductory Month Membership comes with all of the perks of membership including:
- bring free guests new to Yoga Garden SF
- mat storage
- discounts on the retail shop and more!
- Arrive early–your first step to reduce stress. Reservations are released 5 minutes before the start of class.
- Enter the gate from the street and walk down the garden path to your right. There will be arrows guiding your way.
- You can store your bike all the way down the end of the path on lockable wall hooks–bring your own lock. The door to the studio is to the left of the path.
- Enter the studio and take off your shoes. Store the shoes in the benches provided.
- Introduce yourself to the receptionist at the desk. They will sign you into class, which you must do even if you have a reservation. You can also check yourself in at the desk.
- You can change and store your clothes and wait in the lobby for the yoga room to be clear
- You can bring your own yoga mat, but we also rent sanitized mats for $2 and we provide a place for members to store their own mats.
- If the studio is empty, you can place your mat and sit and wait for class.
- Introduce yourself to other students in the room and learn something about their practice. The Yoga Garden is a community yoga school and we encourage everyone to keep it friendly, open and fun for everyone.
- Have Fun!
- Make a reservation before coming to class: Then you will not be disappointed if the class is full, and the teacher will have the opportunity to know who and how many students to expect when planning the class. Even if you have reserved a space, please check in.
- Arrive for class on time: Leave enough time to sign in, pay if you need to, roll out your mat, and get ready for class. Late arrivals are disruptive to the class flow and are difficult to teach through.
- Arriving late: If you arrive late and the class has already started in silent meditation or is chanting, wait outside the class until the instructor has indicated that you may enter.
- Stow your personal items: Because our rooms are small please only bring in wallets or very valuable items. Other items can be put in the changing room area.
- Water. The best way to practice is to drink enough water before the practice so that you do not need to drink water doing your practice session. Please try and refrain from bringing water bottles into the practice room.
- Setting up your mat: Roll out your mat in line with the others in the room, and square to the room shape. Doing this gives everyone more space and helps you stay balanced and aligned in your practice.
- Make room: Please make room for everyone. Don’t wait for someone to ask you to make room. People will not be admitted into the studio beyond a comfortable capacity. We cap our class size to offer some of the smallest classes in the city.
- Introduce yourself: Take the time to introduce yourself to other students. This supports your yoga practice and builds friendships and community. Introduce yourself to your teacher.
- Practice good hygiene: Make sure that your body, your clothes and your mat are clean and odor free. Please do not wear perfume, cologne, after shave, essential oils, or scented antiperspirant, shampoos, or conditioners. Just like natural body odors, these artificial odors will be intensified by the heat of the practice. This includes all “natural” or “organic” scents as well.
- Leaving early: Do not leave during Savasana (Final Relaxation). If you must leave early, please inform the teacher before class that you need to leave early, then make sure you allow enough time to put your belongings away and to be out the door before the start of the group Savasana.
- Returning props: Put all props back in their proper place after class. If you’ve unfolded a blanket, please refold the blanket accordingly and place it back onto the shelf.